Becoming a Missionary

My beloved brethren, you and I, today and always, are to bless all peoples in all the nations of the earth. You and I, today and always, are to bear witness of Jesus Christ and declare the message of the Restoration. You and I, today and always, are to invite all to receive the ordinances of salvation. Proclaiming the gospel is not a part-time priesthood obligation. It is not simply an activity in which we engage for a limited time or an assignment we must complete as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Rather, missionary work is a manifestation of our spiritual identity and heritage. We were foreordained in the premortal existence and born into mortality to fulfill the covenant and promise God made to Abraham. We are here upon the earth at this time to magnify the priesthood and to preach the gospel. That is who we are, and that is why we are here--today and always.
- by Elder David A. Bednar
From The Ensign, Nov. 2005, Page 47

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Special Assignment- transfer to Murrietta

2/8/12
Hey! :)

I am doing great! I am now here in Murrieta! Yes it’s always sad and strange to leave an area and come to a new one; but, Murrieta is what they call the Land of Milk and Honey! I had the opportunity to meet
the bishop and our ward mission leader yesterday (the 7th of Feb.) and they are all about missionary work! My new companion’s name is Elder Schenk and he is a cool kid. He seems to know his stuff pretty well. He
has been out for about 6 months and I think after a couple weeks of getting my bearings back, we should be able to tear it up!

So I was called Saturday morning by our mission president, President Smart. He informed me that I was on a special assignment. From what it looks like, I’m a little confused. I think the missionary that was here before me was "sick" a lot with back problems and from what I can tell right now they were still working as
missionaries, but they just weren’t 100% obedient. I think that they have a lot of what I call “hang out houses”. It’s when missionary go teach less-actives. Not that it’s not missionary work, it’s just not super effective when some missionaries have a hole in their schedule, they go kick it at a members home who is more welcoming to have cool missionaries kick it at their house than less-actives you know? So I think my "special assignment" is to make sure that we don’t waste
time and to make sure that we are being 100% obedient so that the Lord can bless us because this is, from what I have heard, the best area in the mission for member- missionary work, as long as it’s done correctly and effectively.

As for me, I am doing great like I said before, it’s always a little bit of a struggle when I first move to a new area because it’s like relearning everything again and getting used to your surroundings all over again. It always feels weird to move. I
will be fine, it’s usually gone after about two weeks and being the Senior Companion and District Leader always helps too!

Alright, well, that’s about all for this week. I will be sending some
pictures on my USB home so you can see some of my adventures previous to leaving Moreno Valley.

Love. Elder McNew
























No comments: