Becoming a Missionary

My beloved brethren, you and I, today and always, are to bless all peoples in all the nations of the earth. You and I, today and always, are to bear witness of Jesus Christ and declare the message of the Restoration. You and I, today and always, are to invite all to receive the ordinances of salvation. Proclaiming the gospel is not a part-time priesthood obligation. It is not simply an activity in which we engage for a limited time or an assignment we must complete as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Rather, missionary work is a manifestation of our spiritual identity and heritage. We were foreordained in the premortal existence and born into mortality to fulfill the covenant and promise God made to Abraham. We are here upon the earth at this time to magnify the priesthood and to preach the gospel. That is who we are, and that is why we are here--today and always.
- by Elder David A. Bednar
From The Ensign, Nov. 2005, Page 47

Saturday, March 31, 2012

communication is key

2/27/12
Hey how are you all this week?

Hey what’s up? I am doing great this week!

We had a multi-zone conference earlier this week and I learned a lot about how to become a better missionary, and how to better the work in my area! Ever since I got this "special assignment" I have been kind of confused and stressed out, but I think I have it all under control now. Elder Schenk is really a good missionary. I just think that he needs a little direction and some encouragement to be the best that he can be! As some of you know, every week we have a weekly planning session. At the end of your weekly planning session, you conduct what they call “companionship inventory”. Well, this week after the multi-zone I, with the spirit of course, laid down the law basically. We had a really good discussion about how we can work together better and how we can help the work improve! I think that we will definitely be seeing some blessings come as we strive to be obedient and to work together. Communication is the key, I have found, in any relationship!

Also this week, we did a few exchanges with the other missionaries. We had some good things come from it, I felt. We met this lady that was super less-active, and I gave her a talk on being offended, challenged her to read it, and set up a return appointment. Hopefully that goes well. Then I also went on exchanges with Elder Tait. He is from Alpine and he went to school with Jamie Summers at Paradigm in Riverton. We didn’t see a ton of progress in the work but I think we both grew spiritually, our testimonies were strengthened when we had some really good deep conversations about the gospel. It seems like sometimes it’s good to have a good open intelligent communication about things. I don’t know if that makes sense but it’s been a while since I have talked that deeply with someone- it was good!

So that’s about all for this week! Oh, well we also had a baptism but I didn’t really have much to do with the conversion I just gave the interview, filled the font, and made sure everything was good!

Well, I love you all! Have a good week! Talk to you soon!
Love, Elder McNew










No comments: