Becoming a Missionary

My beloved brethren, you and I, today and always, are to bless all peoples in all the nations of the earth. You and I, today and always, are to bear witness of Jesus Christ and declare the message of the Restoration. You and I, today and always, are to invite all to receive the ordinances of salvation. Proclaiming the gospel is not a part-time priesthood obligation. It is not simply an activity in which we engage for a limited time or an assignment we must complete as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Rather, missionary work is a manifestation of our spiritual identity and heritage. We were foreordained in the premortal existence and born into mortality to fulfill the covenant and promise God made to Abraham. We are here upon the earth at this time to magnify the priesthood and to preach the gospel. That is who we are, and that is why we are here--today and always.
- by Elder David A. Bednar
From The Ensign, Nov. 2005, Page 47

Saturday, March 31, 2012

By Small and Simple Means

1/23/12
Hey, What’s up? Life is going well here in Moreno Valley. It has been cold lately and I’m not diggin it! And it’s raining!

So, missionary work this week was pretty good! We had a lesson with a potential that is now an investigator and it went really well. Then earlier this week we had a good 45 minute chat with this dude. It was pretty interesting and I figured it wasn’t going to go anywhere. But, I guess he felt the spirit. Because when we left I had given him my Book of Mormon that I use for tracting that has the three pamphlets that we use: The Restoration, The Plan of Salvation, and The Gospel. Then we left and I just figured it was one of those seed planting moments. But, I had also given him our number. So, on Saturday he gave us a call and was impressed with some of our doctrine and said that he was coming to church. Well, we had Stake Conference this week so he’ll be coming next week.

Something stuck out to me this week that I want to share. We were at a less-active’s house reading scriptures with them and I rediscovered one of my favorite scriptures. It’s Alma 37:6-7 talking about small and simple things. It stuck with me for some reason. Then, in Stake Conference, one of the speakers, Paul Johnson of the Seventy, was talking about the Parable of the 10 virgins. He related the oil in our lamp to the righteous things that we do. All of the good choices we make are drops of oil, that throughout time fill our lamp. I related it to the small and means and all of the small things in our life that we do are really the things that matter, along with the righteous decisions that we make, like marrying in the temple or serving a mission. But, the little things like saying our prayers, reading our scriptures, and going to church are really the things that make a huge difference in our lives and affect our happiness. Anyway, I thought it was cool and that is something that stuck out to me!

I am doing well though and the Lord’s work for sure is moving forward. Unfortunately, I may be leaving Moreno Valley soon. Transfers are coming up Monday Feb. 6th! If things happen I will let you know then! I have definitely enjoyed my time here in Moreno Valley and will continue to learn and to grow while I am here. We have a leadership training meeting and the temple trip coming up this week, so that should be good!

Love you! Have a good week!

Elder, Justin Charles Lamar McNew

No comments: