Becoming a Missionary

My beloved brethren, you and I, today and always, are to bless all peoples in all the nations of the earth. You and I, today and always, are to bear witness of Jesus Christ and declare the message of the Restoration. You and I, today and always, are to invite all to receive the ordinances of salvation. Proclaiming the gospel is not a part-time priesthood obligation. It is not simply an activity in which we engage for a limited time or an assignment we must complete as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Rather, missionary work is a manifestation of our spiritual identity and heritage. We were foreordained in the premortal existence and born into mortality to fulfill the covenant and promise God made to Abraham. We are here upon the earth at this time to magnify the priesthood and to preach the gospel. That is who we are, and that is why we are here--today and always.
- by Elder David A. Bednar
From The Ensign, Nov. 2005, Page 47

Monday, July 30, 2012

Scripture Power!

7-30

This week I learned a pretty sweet lesson about scripture study.  Studying the scriptures really gives you power and fills your life with the spirit.

Okay, so as you know, I got transferred here to Jurupa it’s a small horse town and there is dirt every where and I live in a barn lol literally... Seriously, it has a loft and everything! Lol it was converted to a missionary house. 4 of us live there. It’s me and my companion (Elder Fielding) and the Spanish missionaries.

So back to the story: Elder Eddy, one of the Spanish missionaries, has been out a transfer less than me, nevertheless he is an older missionary. Okay so ever since he came I realized that he has the spirit a bit stronger than the rest of us and as I watched him I noticed that he studies a TON! Like every free second he has, he is studying his scriptures. Then on Friday we had a sweet little zone breakfast with all of the other missionaries. And one of the guys in the stake Presidency, Brother Tally, gave us this awesome talk about scripture study.  He went a little deep in some of the stuff in Abraham 3 and then he brought it all back to Christ and it was mind blowing!  After that, I decided that the next time I had gotten some free time that I am going to read the scriptures some more.

Well, my new companion has some health issues and he has to take 2 hours for lunch instead of 1 so during the last hour of my lunch break I tore into the scriptures and found some sweet stuff.  I noticed that my patience level and the spirit within me was magnified! It was amazing!

So. I just want to bear my testimony to you that the scriptures really so carry power! It’s just applying that power. The more you study the stronger the spirit is! :) I LOVE IT!!! I love the Gospel so much! I don’t know what I would do without it!

Also, this area is pretty sweet.  We have some pretty legit investigators, at least from what I have seen.  We have a few on date for baptism and a few that will potentially be :) It’s just being obedient and unified with my companion and then we will see some success I know it! :)

 K well I love you!

That’s about all for this week!

Love, Elder McNew  

No comments: