Becoming a Missionary

My beloved brethren, you and I, today and always, are to bless all peoples in all the nations of the earth. You and I, today and always, are to bear witness of Jesus Christ and declare the message of the Restoration. You and I, today and always, are to invite all to receive the ordinances of salvation. Proclaiming the gospel is not a part-time priesthood obligation. It is not simply an activity in which we engage for a limited time or an assignment we must complete as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Rather, missionary work is a manifestation of our spiritual identity and heritage. We were foreordained in the premortal existence and born into mortality to fulfill the covenant and promise God made to Abraham. We are here upon the earth at this time to magnify the priesthood and to preach the gospel. That is who we are, and that is why we are here--today and always.
- by Elder David A. Bednar
From The Ensign, Nov. 2005, Page 47

Monday, August 6, 2012

Teaching the Valencias

08-06

Hey what’s up?

 As for this week; things went great!

We have been seeing some great success and I think it is because I have learned to be more patient and it seems as though I have gained some pretty good trust in the ward already. I know that the Ward Mission leader respects me.  We taught one of the counselors to the bishop and he was really appreciative of us. :) I love feeling welcome and comfortable with the members!

So check this out, we have like 5ish progressing investigators right now and we had 2 come to church this week.  We have an interview set up with the mission president for another and he should be getting baptized pretty soon.  Then we have this awesome Hispanic family, the Valencia’s, they are getting more and more legit every time we meet with them. We had a cottage meeting in one of the members homes with them and we taught them the Doctrine of Christ.  Then we went over to their house and JR,  the son, brother, husband of the family said a prayer out loud for the first time ever anyone had ever seen.  Then he told us that he eventually wants to join our church. We went over the baptismal questions with them all and most of them were like, "Yeah!" They have a few things to work over, but I think their first covenant with the Lord is right around the corner :) It’s so sick! And also they had us bless their home! :) I’m impressed with them. It seems as though the spirit is totally working on them. :)

So yeah! Our week was pretty good and I’m loving it here in the Heat :) lol It’s really not too bad, the barn gets pretty cool at night we have a little unit in the window that blows cold air.

Oh this is kind of random, but we live with another set of missionaries and they are Spanish speaking so they teach me Spanish words and stuff. I’m getting pretty decent. Not too bad for a gringo.

Alrighty well that is about it.  If you have questions, please let me know.

 Love you have great week.

Love, Elder McNew  

No comments: