Becoming a Missionary

My beloved brethren, you and I, today and always, are to bless all peoples in all the nations of the earth. You and I, today and always, are to bear witness of Jesus Christ and declare the message of the Restoration. You and I, today and always, are to invite all to receive the ordinances of salvation. Proclaiming the gospel is not a part-time priesthood obligation. It is not simply an activity in which we engage for a limited time or an assignment we must complete as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Rather, missionary work is a manifestation of our spiritual identity and heritage. We were foreordained in the premortal existence and born into mortality to fulfill the covenant and promise God made to Abraham. We are here upon the earth at this time to magnify the priesthood and to preach the gospel. That is who we are, and that is why we are here--today and always.
- by Elder David A. Bednar
From The Ensign, Nov. 2005, Page 47

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Falling Down to Heaven

4-9-12

Hey what’s up!

So this week was great! I have a few experiences thoughts that I would like to share with you all. The past few weeks I have had the opportunity to go on exchanges with some of the Elders and Zone Leaders in my district.  I had kind of a cool spiritual experience that I wanted to share.  It’s just kind of awesome how the Lord can really speak to us through the Holy Ghost and how we can learn from the spirit.

So, I was riding down a hill and I got a prompting to go the other way (up the hill).  I was cruisin' down this hill and I didn’t really want to turn around so I just continued to ride down the hill.  When I got to the bottom the prompting was pretty strong so I turned around and I started back up the hill! I was on exchanges with Elder Lamb and he said, " Oh, did you go the wrong way?"
"No, I just feel like we should go this way."
So, as we were riding up the hill, sure enough there was a man walking his dog and we stopped and talked to him.  We walked/rode slowly with him back down the hill.  We had a pretty good discussion and ended up leaving him with a Book of Mormon and committed him to read it! It was cool, something kinda small. But it’s always good to be the receptor of good, through our Father in Heaven.

Another cool experience that I had was something I learned from our home share when I was on exchanges with the zone leaders.  It was that in order to progress, we need to fall down. Let me explain. It comes from a book called Falling Down to Heaven. And the principal is that, like the people in First Nephi (in Lehi's dream of the Tree of Life in chapter 8), all of the people who made it to the tree and stayed there were those who fell to their knees as they arrived.  All the others (in short) either wandered off or fell away before even making it to the tree, or after they partook of the fruit.  They fell away because of the other people mocking and pointing fingers.

The lessons I learned this week are that first, when we are riding downhill sometimes it’s just too easy and the Lord wants us to turn around and go up hill.  And, although it may be a struggle at first, we are rewarded in the end. The second thing would be that we can never let ourselves be puffed up. We must remain humble and on our knees in prayer so that the Lord can help us progress and move forward.  Hence, "Falling Down to Heaven."

That’s about all for this week! The Church is true and the book is Blue! Lol :)

Love you! Love, Elder Justin Charles McNew








No comments: