Becoming a Missionary

My beloved brethren, you and I, today and always, are to bless all peoples in all the nations of the earth. You and I, today and always, are to bear witness of Jesus Christ and declare the message of the Restoration. You and I, today and always, are to invite all to receive the ordinances of salvation. Proclaiming the gospel is not a part-time priesthood obligation. It is not simply an activity in which we engage for a limited time or an assignment we must complete as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Rather, missionary work is a manifestation of our spiritual identity and heritage. We were foreordained in the premortal existence and born into mortality to fulfill the covenant and promise God made to Abraham. We are here upon the earth at this time to magnify the priesthood and to preach the gospel. That is who we are, and that is why we are here--today and always.
- by Elder David A. Bednar
From The Ensign, Nov. 2005, Page 47

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Birthday Visitors

Okay, So this week was awesome, absolutely awesome!
 Here we go! So, on Monday, as you know, I was able to go out to dinner with Grandma and Grandpa and Aunt Jean.
So last week as soon as I was done emailing here we went home and met everyone at our house. Everyone means grandma, grandpa, and aunt Jean. Everyone really hit it off well with my home-share family, the Shelley's. After a little reunion we went to Sizzler and got some food. We visited together and it was great! Then we went shopping at Wal*MART.









After that we all headed back to the Shelley's house and I had asked if we could have a lesson, and they said it was cool. So we had a little lesson on the Doctrine of Christ. I shared one of my favorite scriptures and then we shared a video and it was really good! :) During the video I was thinking about my grandparents, and more specifically my grandpa and how I had never really heard his testimony, at least from what I could recall. So after we watched the video I asked grandpa to bear his testimony. Without hesitation, he was proud to bear it! I would have to say hearing my grandfather bear his testimony with such a strong conviction and seeing such a (what i have always seen) a rough and tough man bear his testimony with just pure conviction was amazing. It was super simple but I could tell it was real! I think I felt it the most when he began to cry a little bit. It was awesome. Definitely one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had on my mission. I was to be able to teach my grandparents and Aunt Jean and then hear my grandfather bear his testimony :) ... so definitely a highlight of my mission and week.

 On Thursday we had interviews with President Smart and it was great! I have decided to focus on charity, patience, and obedience. Most specifically; charity. It is something that I have noticed I have struggled with. It's something that I never really noticed that I had a struggle with until my mission. I love everyone, but sometimes its hard to have the pure Love of Christ. As it describes in Ether 12:27: "If you come unto the Lord, He will show you your weakness." Notice weakness is singular. In 1 Nephi 19:6 it says; "weakness is the flesh or the natural man!" We are all weak and when we grow closer to Christ and strive to become like him, he shows us where we can improve. Just like it says in one of my favorite talks by Elder Enzio Buche: "unleashing the dormant spirit"

 Okay, that's about all for this week :)

Love you all! Thanks

Love, Elder McNew