Becoming a Missionary

My beloved brethren, you and I, today and always, are to bless all peoples in all the nations of the earth. You and I, today and always, are to bear witness of Jesus Christ and declare the message of the Restoration. You and I, today and always, are to invite all to receive the ordinances of salvation. Proclaiming the gospel is not a part-time priesthood obligation. It is not simply an activity in which we engage for a limited time or an assignment we must complete as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Rather, missionary work is a manifestation of our spiritual identity and heritage. We were foreordained in the premortal existence and born into mortality to fulfill the covenant and promise God made to Abraham. We are here upon the earth at this time to magnify the priesthood and to preach the gospel. That is who we are, and that is why we are here--today and always.
- by Elder David A. Bednar
From The Ensign, Nov. 2005, Page 47

Sunday, December 4, 2011

an FHE lesson

11-07-11

This week I had the opportunity to attend the temple! There is a guy in my ward that is crazy about genealogy and temple work; so when he found out that I was going to be attending the temple he got all excited and offered me a ride.  He told me that we were going to go early so that we could do some initiatories before I went in for a session.  So, I got to go to the temple earlier than everyone else which was cool because I haven't done initiatories for a while.  It was a great experience and then when I went and did a session, the Spirit was really strong.  I learned so much this past time for some reason.  I don't know why, but things just stuck out to me and it was awesome!  I think it's because I have been learning more and more and maturing.  When I went to the temple, I was ready to learn more.  Unfortunately, my companion wasn't able to go because he had a meeting at the church.

Okay,  So that's what was cool this week.  I also had a cool experience this week with a family that we taught yesterday.  So, there is this family in my ward that has an ex-son in-law and his girlfriend that live close.  To make a long confusing explanation short, I'm just gonna say that they attend FHE at their house and stayed for the lesson.  Kim, the girlfriend (non-member), attends the lesson and she is somewhat interested in the gospel but doesn't want to take the lessons.  So, to avoid being awkward we have been going to the FHE for a few weeks now, we met Kim and the guy and we are friends now. So, this week we got the opportunity to teach half of the first lesson which is the Restoration.  We taught up to the Savior's Earthly ministry and Atonement.  The spirit was really strong and we ended the lesson with a great testimony about Jesus Christ and how he is our Savior and Redeemer.  We taught about how we can be clean and find true happiness in and through him! Then after the lesson we sang the primary song (there are a bunch of kids present) "A Child's Prayer", and the spirit was so strong and I felt it; it was real!

Love, Elder McNew





No comments: