Becoming a Missionary

My beloved brethren, you and I, today and always, are to bless all peoples in all the nations of the earth. You and I, today and always, are to bear witness of Jesus Christ and declare the message of the Restoration. You and I, today and always, are to invite all to receive the ordinances of salvation. Proclaiming the gospel is not a part-time priesthood obligation. It is not simply an activity in which we engage for a limited time or an assignment we must complete as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Rather, missionary work is a manifestation of our spiritual identity and heritage. We were foreordained in the premortal existence and born into mortality to fulfill the covenant and promise God made to Abraham. We are here upon the earth at this time to magnify the priesthood and to preach the gospel. That is who we are, and that is why we are here--today and always.
- by Elder David A. Bednar
From The Ensign, Nov. 2005, Page 47

Monday, September 24, 2012

Success while tracting

So, this week was awesome.

We had a few things that kept us from getting really good numbers, but we did have a pretty sweet miracle experience.

Sunday after church and lunch, we were driving and we only had 30 minutes until our dinner but we had planned some time to go tracting in a specific neighborhood. So I asked my companion what he thought. He said, “Yeah, sure, let’s go there.”

So on our way I see this lady; and he felt prompted to go down 63rd street. So I flipped a U-turn and jumped out of the car to talk to the woman. She took a card and had to go. Okay, so we went to 63rd street and I was all gung-ho about just doing work, so I jumped out of the car again and my companion just kind of sat there. So I was thinking, “oh, you want to pray... yeah, Okay let’s pray.” He offered the prayer and then I was like, “before we go anywhere, I want to knock that door.”

So I knocked the door, and told this lady pretty boldly about the restoration. She was nice but declined our message. Either way the spirit was super strong and she shook my hand goodbye. It was weird because she offered me her hand which I was not expecting.

Anyway, then we jumped back in the car and started driving. My companion said, “We need to go way down this street and tell this lady thanks for giving us water.” As we were driving, we were talking about different ways to contact and how to find the elect strictly by the spirit. Then I started complaining and expressing how I just wanted to see some success. I just want a Baptism. I just want investigators who progress, etc.

Then we get to the house and knock on the door. A sweet lady answers the door and says, “Come in.” We kindly asked if there was a male in the home and she said there was so we went in. Immediately a guys says, “ ELDERS! What's up?” Then the guy’s friend starts giggling and walks out of the room. Turns out she was giggling because it was so unexpected to have all of these Mormons in her home. Anyway, we had a great conversation and were about to leave when I asked the mother (the lady who let us in) if she was interested in learning more about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. She said that she was but that she is a super busy lady and works 7days a week but she had our number (from last time). So I told her when she had time to call us. She said “okay”.

As we were about to leave again, I turned to the other girl, Rachel is her name (the one who was giggling) I asked her if she wanted to learn more about the message that we share. She then explained how she is "Christian" and started telling us about her bible study and stuff. Then she went and grabbed a book and showed it to us. Then was like, “So... do think that you would be interested in hearing more about the Book of Mormon?” “Or, like how our message is different from other Christian faiths?” She said, “Yeah, Yeah... YES!” Okay sweet, so we started explaining the difference and taught pieces of the Restoration as we answered her questions, then! My companion broke down all of the pictures in the front of the BOM and showed her in the Book of Mormon like all of the different things and history like where it came from and stuff.

Then I opened up to the introduction and showed her the promise, “We invite all men everywhere to read the Book of Mormon and to ponder in their hearts the message in contains, then to ask God, the Eternal Father in the name of Christ if this book is true. Those who pursue this course and ask in faith will gain a testimony of its’ truth and divinity by the power of the Holy Ghost.” That is just from memory so forgive me if it’s not perfect. We then committed her to read and pray about the Book of Mormon and she said YES! Then we started to set up a return appointment and then the member was like, “Oh, I need to be there too, right?” “Yeah.” So we gave him our number and he is going to set up a return appointment!!! It WAS AMAZING! A Blessing straight from God! The Spirit was so strong, it was a divine appointment.

I know that the Gospel is true and then when truly sincerely grasped and understood brings innumerable blessings! :) Faith does grow as we nourish the seed thereof just as explained by the prophet Alma in Alma32.

 I love being a Missionary and sharing the Gospel with those who are searching for the truth. Some don’t even recognize they are searching for it until it’s knocking on their door or standing in their kitchen :)

 I Love you all and thank you for all of your love and support!

 Love, Elder McNew

No comments: