Becoming a Missionary

My beloved brethren, you and I, today and always, are to bless all peoples in all the nations of the earth. You and I, today and always, are to bear witness of Jesus Christ and declare the message of the Restoration. You and I, today and always, are to invite all to receive the ordinances of salvation. Proclaiming the gospel is not a part-time priesthood obligation. It is not simply an activity in which we engage for a limited time or an assignment we must complete as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Rather, missionary work is a manifestation of our spiritual identity and heritage. We were foreordained in the premortal existence and born into mortality to fulfill the covenant and promise God made to Abraham. We are here upon the earth at this time to magnify the priesthood and to preach the gospel. That is who we are, and that is why we are here--today and always.
- by Elder David A. Bednar
From The Ensign, Nov. 2005, Page 47

Monday, September 17, 2012

Lesson from an apostle

What's up? You should really tell me what's been going on!

I am doing well! :) The work keeps rolling on. This week was crazy busy and fast! It seems like there is just not enough time in a day to get everything done that you need to.

We had a really awesome experience this week! Elder Paul B. Pieper from the 70 came and gave our mission a conference! It was amazing! My compaion and I actually ate lunch with Elder Pieper, his wife, the mission president, his wife, the stake president and the area assistant.  It was great! I was going to sit down at another table and the mission president gave me this look like, "Sit there!"  So I did. My companion was already sitting there anyway.  It was a great experience to meet with some one who knows the Lord so well. He gave us some wisdom concerning missionary work. He started out by asking a lot of questions and not answering them.  Then he gave us a formula to answer the questions.  It was kind of like a platform.  Let me explain.  So you have the "what" of the question, the "why" and the "how". The "what" is the doctrine.  Simple, pure truth.  The "why" is the principle behind the doctrine.  And the "how" is the action that comes from the principle. The way he explained it was really cool.  He drew a block diagram and broke it down for us. :) He also talked about agency and repentance, not just repentance, but true repentance.  The atonement of course that's like a staple in any doctrine really.  Then the other thing that I remember right now, because I don't have my notes, was his testimony. The pure truth and witness of Jesus Christ. If you truly understand what is said; when any apostle or prophet bares their testimony, it is amazing! You could feel the power from his words as he spoke.  The Holy Ghosts did carry it to the hearts of those who were listening just as it is described 2 Nephi 33:1. :) Anyway, it was amazing!

We also had a really cool experience on Saturday, I think it was.  Elder Fielding and I didn't get out to work untill about 2:00 or 3:00.  When we did, we went tracting in this neighborhood.  We found a legit potential, went to a semi-less active's house, taught them a lesson found, out that she knew the potential we had just found, and then we used her as a fellow-shipper for one of our investigators that's not progressing.  They meshed perfectly; had some of the same life experiences, and they ended up speaking Spanglish to each other for like 2 hours.  Then we left a team up and visited our other investigators at like 8:30.  Then we had to jam home, oh and dinner in the mix somewhere.  It was amazing.  Then we found another new potential just down the street from the other.

I love missionary work! I know that Christ is our Savior and Redeemer!
The Church is true and the Book is blue!

I Love you!
Elder McNew

No comments: