Becoming a Missionary

My beloved brethren, you and I, today and always, are to bless all peoples in all the nations of the earth. You and I, today and always, are to bear witness of Jesus Christ and declare the message of the Restoration. You and I, today and always, are to invite all to receive the ordinances of salvation. Proclaiming the gospel is not a part-time priesthood obligation. It is not simply an activity in which we engage for a limited time or an assignment we must complete as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Rather, missionary work is a manifestation of our spiritual identity and heritage. We were foreordained in the premortal existence and born into mortality to fulfill the covenant and promise God made to Abraham. We are here upon the earth at this time to magnify the priesthood and to preach the gospel. That is who we are, and that is why we are here--today and always.
- by Elder David A. Bednar
From The Ensign, Nov. 2005, Page 47

Monday, August 27, 2012

Teaching Loretta

What's up?

This week was sick! We taught 20 lessons and we got 2 new investigators! Also, our investigator JR has an interview scheduled with President Smart this Friday.  I was so surprised that he said that he was ready.  He just wants to get it done with and Monica, his wife, she is going to take a bit longer.  But, to be honest, I'm surprised that they are progressing as well as they are.

We also had 2 investigators come to church and we should have one getting baptized really soon.  Her name is Jennifer.  She comes from a part-member family. Everything is going great! We had a pretty cool experience with this lady named Loretta.  I think I mentioned her before.  She is an older black lady and she is having us teach her.  A member of the Ward's home (they are friends).  Well, we taught her the Plan of Salvation last week on Monday.  When we taught all about the Kingdoms of Glory, she pointed to the Celestial kingdom and was like, "I'M going there!" She has a husband that passed away and she was all excited that she could do the work for him in the temple :) Man, she is progressing right along! We also asked her if she wanted to be baptized and she said, "that's what I'm shooting for!" :) YEAH!!!

Oh! and we also found this one lady.   She was a referral from the Spanish missionaries.  She has an addiction that is running her life and she has the desire to quit and she was praying for some help right before we came over and knocked on her door! :) It was awesome! So, unfortunately, my companion is going to be out for a day this week because of a procedure.  But, we have some people from the church coming to help us out so that I can go to all of our appointments and stuff. So, that should be good.

Well that is about all!

I just want to close by sharing you all my testimony. I KNOW God is our Father in Heaven that loves us! I know that Jesus is the Christ.  I know that through Him we can truly have happiness; and all of our burdens can be lifted.  No matter what we are going through in this mortal life; mental, physical, emotional, spiritual.   Through the Savior Jesus Christ, our loving Father in Heaven can extend mercy, help, and love. When the Savior suffered in the Garden of Gethsemane, he took upon himself all of our pains, sicknesses, issues, etc. So that we, through him, can have happiness. As we pray to our Father he can comfort, uplift and even remove pain and guilt. I Know that this is true and I have a strong testimony of it.

I also know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is God's church; that it has been restored again to the earth today in the FULLNESS.  I know that it was restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith and I know that there is a current Prophet on the earth again today.  He is one of Christ's successors that is real and true as well. I know that through this church, true happiness can be found and obtained upon principles of righteous actions and desire!
I know this is real and true.

Thank you all for all of your love and support!

I love you!

Love, Elder McNew

No comments: